Monday, April 20, 2015

Meet Your Baker by Ellie Alexander

Welcome back my mystery lovers! I have a great new series to tell you about that is filled with all of the mystery you crave and even some really fabulous recipes for your other cravings as well.  

From the back of the book: 
Welcome to Torte—a friendly, small-town family bake shop where the treats are so good that, sometimes, it’s criminal…

After graduating from culinary school, Juliet Capshaw returns to her quaint hometown of Ashland, Oregon, to heal a broken heart and help her mom at the family bakery. The Oregon Shakespeare Festival is bringing in lots of tourists looking for some crumpets to go with their heroic couplets. But when one of Torte’s customers turns up dead, there’s much ado about murder…

The victim is Nancy Hudson, the festival’s newest board member. A modern-day Lady Macbeth, Nancy has given more than a few actors and artists enough reasons to kill her…but still. The silver lining? Jules’s high school sweetheart, Thomas, is the investigator on the case. His flirtations are as delicious as ever, and Jules can’t help but want to have her cake and eat it too. But will she have her just desserts? Murder might be bad for business, but love is the sweetest treat of all…

My thoughts:
Every little thing about this series is so charming to me. I was instantly drawn in because I am a huge fan of Shakespeare so the setting couldn't have been more perfect for me, even the main character Juliet and the witty references in the dialogue fed right into my love of the bard. Within this idyllic setting you will find a fun assortment of likable characters. Juliet/Jules while struggling to find her footing after her marriage hits a low and gets caught up in more than she bargained for and I found myself routing for her to find some inner peace, as well as solve the mystery. 

The pace is fun and I found myself pulling an all nighter just to see what would happen next... you know that promise you make yourself just one more chapter... you'll be hard pressed to keep that promise here. I loved that is was solved realistically, tying up in a tidy way and yet there was enough left between the characters to give me something to look forward to. And I am really looking forward to the next installment, A Batter of Life and Death, which you can pre-order now for the June release!      

And seriously don't forget to check the back of the book, there are a lot of really awesome recipes there. I mean really awesome. You can keep up with this series on the website or on Facebook so you never miss a tasty release. 

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like fun. I love a good mystery, and when they play on Shaespeare, it's even better. I have to check this out!

    ReplyDelete