Friday, January 4, 2013

Little House on the Prairie Museum, Inc


Little House on the Prairie was one of my favorite shows to watch as a little girl. I really had no idea it was a real place because as an adult I sort of forgot about it. It just so happens when I moved from Florida to Kansas I relocated very near where the story originated.  It’s an easy drive from my house to the Little House on the Prairie Museum.


Little House on the Prairie Museum, Inc. is a non-profit, privately owned historic site on the location of the Charles Ingalls family homesite (1869-1871) in Kansas. During the summer you can go inside of the buildings, gift shop and restrooms but during the winter, while you can still walk around, the buildings are closed including the restrooms - you will need to keep in mind when planning your visit in the winter there are no facilities. 


We happened to go when the buildings were opened which I recommend because walking inside of them really adds to the charm of the site and helps take you back to imagine what life would have been like.

As you can see from the picture with my husband in the doorway the one room cabin is rather small by today’s standards.  When I went inside, at first it felt cramped but then as my imagination kicked in it began to feel cozy. I could almost imagine how it must have been to live here, especially in Kansas with the harsh weather.

Inside it is furnished with items that look like they are from the time. I especially like the chairs carved from trees and the ceiling braces which are also made from unfinished trees. We were very lucky to be alone to explore the day we visited and being in such a rural area I imagine if you visit during the week you too can have an undisturbed walk around.

Also on the site is a school house and a post office. You will also find a hand dug well and some barnyard animals that you can pet if you’d like. The gift shop has a nice selection of fun souvenirs to help you remember you visit back in time. They even have costumes in case you want to have a special photograph made to have for a keepsake.

There is no admission but a donation of $3 for adults and $1 for children is greatly appreciated and will help ensure this wonderful site stays open to future visitors. If you are going to be in the area plan a trip using their website.

1 comment:

  1. I loved that show and read all of the books. It would be so cool to actually see where they lived. It really takes you back in time.

    ReplyDelete