Monday, September 24, 2012

Homemade Cheese Crackers

I have really been trying to eat more and more healthy- making a real effort to adopt lifestyle changes. I figured eating healthy meant saying goodbye to a few old friends… well hello and welcome back you cheesy little devils! Cheese crackers used to be my go to snack when I was in a rush. I would grab a box and eat mindlessly. Well now I found a version of these snack crackers that is missing all the odd ingredients that I am certain don't belong in food at all. Bonus- it is so much better tasting than that boxed chemical mystery food. I’m so glad I tried this and it’s dead easy. Another bonus is the calories (with the ingredients I used) are a about the same as regular snacks at 140 per serving/28grams.

You will need:
1c Flour
4 Tbsp / Half stick salted butter
7oz sharp cheddar
1 Tsp Garlic Powder
5 Tbsp cold water

Combine everything except water and pulse in your food processor until crumbly. Add and pulse one tablespoon of water at a time until dough forms. (you may or may not need all of the water) Stick in the fridge for 30 minutes. Roll out on wax paper, I like mine thin and cut into desired size squares. Cook at 350 for 10-25 the time varies widely depending on the size you make them.  Keeps for 5 days

*** it called for adding salt and using unsalted butter. However unsalted butter has mystery ingredients and salted does not so I just removed the salt from the recipe. If you use unsalted butter add ¾ tsp of salt.

***it also did not call for garlic rather it wanted ½ tsp of cayenne I changed that due to preference

 *** it was supposed to be cooked on parchment paper I did it on foil and it worked fine



4 comments:

  1. These look good. Thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW that was easy-- we can do this-- thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look nice and they don't have any of the nasty preservatives in them that are bad.
    I bet the taste is a whole lot fresher.
    Me being on a low carb diet I cannot make them right now for myself, but my kids will like them, thank you.

    ReplyDelete