Saturday, October 13, 2012

Coca-Cola Taste Test.




I’ve not kept it too much of a secret that I’ve done a lot of modifications to my diet over the past few years, some have stuck and others, well, not so much. In all I would like to think that eat a much healthier diet now and I actually do usually prefer the taste of fresh healthy whole foods over processed foods. As part of my diet for several months my husband and I both ate no processed foods, we felt wonderful and really didn’t miss anything too much. I’m not sure why or how but over time we added back a few things here and there.

I have always had a weak spot for Coca-Cola and it was one of the things that was added back into my diet eventually and possibly inevitably. Most of the time I limit myself to a few sodas a week and on my worst weeks I may have one everyday. When my husband told me that he read an article about a taste test between American Coca-Cola (with corn syrup) and Mexican Coca-Cola (with real sugar) I was really interested. Apparently most people preferred the American version.  I just knew I wouldn’t though, of course I wouldn‘t - would I?

I’m not going to say that either version would be healthy (well, maybe in moderation), but certainly sugar would be preferred by me just to avoid the extra processing. I was pleased to find both varieties at my local shop. I purchased both in glass bottles since some say the taste from a can is different and it was the only way both varieties were offered.

Now was the moment of truth. We labeled the bottom of two identical mugs, then he left the room while I mixed them around, and vice-versa. I wasn’t at all surprised that we were both able to easily identify the Mexican version. What did surprise me was that we didn’t prefer the taste. I guess we are just so used to the extra sweet syrupy one that the one made with sugar seemed almost harsh, certainly a lot less sweet.



Of course now that I know I have better option I will be drinking the Mexican version, and I am certain that over time I will come to prefer the taste. I found that with most of my food addicts after a few weeks I didn’t really want then as much as I thought I did.

Do you have both varieties available to you? I’d love to hear if anyone else tries the taste test and which you preferred.

2 comments:

  1. i have had the mexican variety at some small party stores and i really like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Mexican beer! But never noticed a difference in the coke...but I don't drink much of it, great experiment, :)

    ReplyDelete